How are schools and preschools affected by the Corona pandemic
Registration for school or preschool
As a new arrival who has been in Sweden less than four years, you need to register with the admissions office for new arrivals when applying for school in Uppsala. Do this by visiting the admissions office or submit a filled-out registration form.
Our admissions office
Our admissions office is located at Stationsgatan 12, by the reception on the 4th floor. When you visit us for the first time, we will start the process of applying for preschool or school. We will book an appointment with you to assess your language, need and previous schooling. If you require an interpreter for the interview, we will arrange one.
Please bring your residence card or your LMA-card if you have one. If you are not registered with the Swedish Tax Agency as living in Uppsala, you might be required to show a housing contract.
File the registration form
Send us the filled-out registration form via email or print it and send it by mail. Please take care to fill in all requested information. Note that we need your current address and phone number so we can contact you. For asylum seekers it is very important to include the dossier number that can be found on the LMA-card.
Interview and application
During the interview we will talk about your current level of knowledge and future requirements to make sure that you are given the appropriate schooling. You will be given the opportunity to choose a school. An interpreter can be present if necessary.
- When applying to school from junior class to grade 3, the official will help with the school application during the interview. In this age group you will be placed in a class with Swedish speaking students.
- When applying to school from grade 4 to 9, the official will help with an application for a preparatory class (FBK). In the preparatory class the focus is on learning Swedish.
- For youths wanting to go to upper secondary school the official will inform you about the different choices you have during the interview. Then you will be places in a language introduction class (SPRINT) or, depending on the situation, be referred to other options like upper secondary programmes or adult education.
Youths older than 18
Do you have a residence permit and are about to turn 20 years old? During the spring term of the year you turn 20 you have the opportunity to start a language introduction programme. After that point you will be referred to adult education. Read more about adult education (in Swedish only).
If you are an asylum seeker and older than 18 you do not have the possibility to apply to a language introduction programme (SPRINT). However, if you started the programme before you turned 18 you can continue your education.
If SPRINT is not an option for you, there are courses at different study associations, and other organisations where adult asylum seekers can learn Swedish.
Youths that fulfil the requirements can apply to an upper secondary school national programme. Apply to a national programme.
If you want to study sfi (Swedish for immigrants), vocational- or adult education, contact the adult education office. More information about adult education.
Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19
Information prior to visits to the Admissions office for new arrivals for preschool and school.
When visiting the reception, the following applies:
- People without symptoms are welcome.
- For people showing symptoms, meetings will be rescheduled.
Contact the admissions office for new arrivals for preschool and school
Open hours for the admissions office
Monday and Wednesday 9.00–11.30
Phone: 0771-727 001, nr 6 in the menu, Monday and Wednesday 9.30–11.30.
Visiting address: Stationsgatan 12, reception, 4th floor.